Big Spring Raw Water Production Facility: Third Party Process Review
The Colorado River Municipal Water District (CRMWD) retained Hazen and Sawyer to perform a third-party evaluation of the performance and operation of the Big Spring Raw Water Production Facility (BSRWPF). This facility is one of two direct potable reuse plants currently in operation in Texas to provide a necessary supplement to dwindling water supplies in the face of drought conditions.
The plant treats tertiary effluent from the neighboring City of Big Spring Wastewater Treatment Plant. The plant can produce up to 2.5 mgd of high quality recycled water using microfiltration, reverse osmosis, and advanced oxidation.
Troy Walker is the corporate Water Reuse Practice Leader and Membrane Technology Leader at Hazen.
Third Party Review
After our review, we identified improvements to increase performance and prolong asset life.
Project Outcomes and Benefits
- Evaluated BSRWPF operating data and trends to benchmark past and current condition of plant and equipment, especially MF and RO membranes.
- Identified enhancements/validated plant operating protocols with emphasis on treatment chemical operations.
- Reviewed prior autopsy reports, in relation to operating trends, to estimate the current point in the lifecycle of the RO membranes.
- Identified improvements to increase performance and prolong asset life.
- The project was completed on time and on budget in early 2015.