City of Hallandale Beach Membrane Softening Facility
Prior to designing the new membrane treatment facility, Hazen and Sawyer thoroughly investigated several key issues and performed several evaluations. These included:
- Mass balance and hydraulic analyses
- Assessment of alternative construction methods for the process building
- Capacity evaluations for existing pumping facilities
- Appropriate membrane pretreatment facilities
- Membrane system design parameters
- Post-treatment degasification and odor control
- Concentrate disposal
- Control and Information system improvements
- Chemical handling systems
- Product water blending and disinfection
Hazen and Sawyer also completed design and permitting for a new deep injection well for disposal of the concentrate from the new membrane facility.
Following completion of the design and bidding phases, we assisted the City in overseeing the construction administration of the new facilities, to ensure contractor compliance with the plans and specifications. Hazen and Sawyer also provided operational assistance during start-up and the first year of operations.
For more information, please contact Pat Davis.
Project Outcomes and Benefits
- We performed extensive pre-design activities, resulting in 15 technical memoranda that identified the design parameters for the new membrane facility and addressed several key issues, critical to the project’s success.
- Working closely with the City, we developed a plan for future expansion of the new 6-mgd membrane facility to a future capacity of 15 mgd, including a 6-mgd Reverse Osmosis system to treat brackish water from another supply source.
- We provided operational assistance to the City during the first year of operations, ensuring successful plant performance and operator training.
- Hazen and Sawyer also completed the design and permitting for a deep injection well for disposal of the concentrate from the new membrane facility.