Pond Reconstruction to Mitigate Flooding and Erosion
Benefits Beyond the Pond
This pond reconstruction provides flood control, water quality improvement and stream restoration to protect a 2,100 foot long downstream receiving water.
Project Outcomes and Benefits
- Provides flood control, water quality improvement and stream restoration to protect a 2,100 foot long downstream receiving water, the College Gardens Tributary.
- Used a 60 mil liner, flow splitting, extended detention for the one-inch storm and channel protection control over twenty-four hours for the one-year event.
- A natural channel design approach utilizing a stable reference reach was used for stream design.
- Since completion, park usage has increased substantially and residential support is widespread.
- Restoration efforts have reduced downstream bank erosion rates between 50 and 75% per field surveys.
- Project won several awards including the 2010 Rockville Peerless Award for protection of the City’s environmental heritage and the 2012 APWA environmental Project of the Year Award.