Comprehensive Asset Management on an Aggressive Schedule: Nassau County
Client: Nassau County
Location: Nassau County, NY
As a part of a negotiated Consent Agreement between Nassau County and the State of New York, the County was tasked with development of a comprehensive asset management plan for two secondary wastewater treatment facilities. Hazen and Sawyer performed asset management assessments of two 72 mgd WWTPs, including onsite power generation (methane and natural gas driven), influent/effluent pumping including tide-gate operations, screening and aerated grit removal, primary clarification, step-feed secondary aeration, anaerobic digestion, belt press thickening and dewatering, hypochlorite chlorination and dechlorination.
Project Outcomes and Benefits
- Developed a comprehensive asset management plan for each facility under an aggressive 90 day schedule.
- Inventory all facility assets including mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and control, HVAC and structural.
- Confirmed asset inventories and condition through field visits, document review, and staff interviews.
- Scored each asset with a criticality rating which took into account consequence of failure and probability of failure estimates.
- Developed remaining life and repair/replacement cost estimates.
- Conducted a series of workshops with the County staff at various stages of the asset management plan development in order to provide updates on findings/recommendations and receive valuable input.
- Implemented the Asset Management and Decision Support tool (AMDS), which provided the County with an asset register that can be used as a functional and perpetual tool to aid in risk management and prioritization of asset repair and replacement decisions.
For more information on this project, or to discuss a similar project in your area, contact George Freiberg at firstname.lastname@example.org