Large Diameter Water Pipelines, Storage, and Intake Structures: Charlotte NC
Client: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities
Location: Charlotte, NC
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities (NC) tasked Hazen and Sawyer with increasing its water supply capacity. The program entailed installing more than 25,000 LF of raw water piping, 500 MG of offline raw water storage at the Franklin Water Treatment Plant, and an intake structure.
Project Outcomes and Benefits
- Project included fast-track design and permitting of a 120-inch steel transmission main.
- Detailed design layout accommodating a diameter ranging from 96-inch to 120-inch proceeded simultaneously with hydraulic and economic evaluations before selection of 120-inch option.
- More than 25,000 linear feet of 84-inch to 120-inch raw water piping was installed.
- Supply capacity to the Franklin and Vest WTPs was increased to 330 mgd after completion.
- Project included large tunnels to avoid impacts to other critical utilities and major roadways.
For more information on this project, or to discuss a similar project in your area, contact Jim Struve at email@example.com